ZOOMING AND EATING


Perhaps this became a thing at Thanksgiving when families who normally gather for a big Thanksgiving dinner, still wanted to maintain the semblance of eating together even though they were far apart. I can relate to wanting to see everyone and visit and laugh. But when I eat, I want to concentrate on that, then socialize. Actually I like to read while I eat so it’s not a social occasion for me.

This week we've participated virtually in two Christmas events that we ordinarily look forward to. One is the annual gathering of the University Emeriti. It's a time to see former colleagues and friends and catch up with what's been happening in their lives. There's a lavish buffet. The centerpiece is a big ice sculpture (different every year --- who builds the molds for these works of art?) surrounded with mounds of cooked shrimp. There are plenty of other gustitory treats. My favorites are the traditioal frosted Christmas cookies. Shall I choose a gingerbread man or a blue star with sprinkles?

The other event is my husband's departmental party. I mention both of these affairs because when they're held in person, the food is an important element. This year ahead of each event, we received a package of food to eat at home while the event was being zoomed. The emeriti event included shrimp; a box of cheeses, salami, procuto, olives, and grilled veggies; and a box of sweet treats (but no frosted cookies.) For the departmental party we received a small wooden crate from Harry and David filled with nuts, mixed dried fruit, and several kinds of cheese. This offering also included a bottle of red wine. 

It must cost something to send these treats, but perhaps no more than paying a caterer to set up an actual buffet. For one thing, the quantities for each kind of food are predictable; there are no shortages or left-overs. And there's no need for waiters to circulate, no dishes to wash, no arrangements for a suitable venue and parking. We enjoyed the food, but I'm not sure that eating while Zooming really added to this year's virtual parties. 

Comments

Popular Posts