FOREVER MISSING?

August 14, 2020

Our libraries were totally closed for about three months after the Coronavirus lock-down in mid March. I had checked out a book a week or two earlier and wondered how I'd return it. Would all the books that had been checked out before the closure --- thousands I'd guess within our own library system --- be forever missing? 

Then the library came up with a system for returning books, and later for checking out new books. I think many other libraries are offering a similar service. It's not the same as browsing the shelves, but it works after a fashion. 

We return books to the main library or one particular branch, and there are limited hours. (The other branches are all closed.) The books are put into a big bin. After a few days, giving any lurking Coronavirus the chance to die off, they are checked in and returned to the shelves. To check out a new book, I can look at the on-line catalog, place a hold on the book I want, and wait for an email that tells me the book is waiting for me. To pick it up, I must phone the library for a pick-up appointment with a half-hour window. 

When I tried this the first time, I was surprised to learn that pick-up appointments were not available for a couple of days. But it worked out OK and I'm nearly finished reading that book. Then my husband asked me to order a book for him. I did, but several days later had not received an email that the book was ready for pick-up. I wondered if the system was overwhelmed. 

Then today, I checked my account and discovered that there were two copies of the book I had ordered. One had already been checked out. The other was the one I was expecting to borrow. But it is now listed as missing. I'll wait until it's found (unlikely) or until the checked-out copy has been returned. 

Now I'm wondering how many books are really forever missing. 


Comments

Popular Posts