HAIR

April 19, 2020, Sunday.

There are an increasing number of posts on FaceBook these days about hair. People are beginning to need haircuts, but haircutting establishments are closed and we're all sheltering in place, leaving home only for essential reasons like food and medicine.

More than one of my young male friends on FaceBook and Zoom are sporting very short buzz cuts. The usual response is, "It will grow out." I understand people are experimenting with bangs. Maybe we'll begin to see more man buns.

After the initial run on toilet paper and cleaning supplies, there's now a big demand for do-it-yourself hair coloring. Some of the people we see on Zoom, have figured out how to set their computer cameras high to avoid the up-the-nostril and saggy-neck view. Instead, we're seeing the tops of their heads and their roots. Other people are experimenting with wild colors (mostly wash-outable): pink, purple, green.

Don is getting a litte shaggy now. Years ago, I cut his hair regularly, but I no longer have the clippers. I might be able to do something with my sewing scissors, but I can't guarantee the results. About a year ago, my hair dresser retired, and I hadn't bothered to find a new one. A fit of frustration led me to cut my own hair. It was a diaster, and a few weeks later, I took a chance on a random salon --- it was near-by and advertised that it took walk-ins. The result was an improvement but not great.

Now my hair has grown out enough to benefit from a good haircut. In addition, my normally thin, fine hair is getting thinner and finer. Maybe I should start wearing kerchiefs. I saw some colorful embroidered ones advertised on FaceBook. (Had someone predicted this hair crisis?) Women who have lost their hair while undergoing chemo have a wide choice of turbans, caps, scarves, and wigs. There are many glamorous Muslim women who cover their hair.

Or, since we're staying home, maybe I'll brush up on crochet and try for a cute little crocheted cap.

Comments

Popular Posts