NEIGHBORS

March 25, 2020, Wednesday


We live on a cul-de-sac with 21 houses. Some of the neighbors are old-timers who I've known for a long time. Others are relatively new, and I don't know all of them nor would I even recognize them. I was surprised today to receive offers of help from the neighbor next door and the neighbor across the street. Both are doctors. One said this virus will be conquered with team science, ancient wisdom, and compassion. Don and I don't need the help at the moment, but it was wonderful to learn that it's there if we do need it.  

In a ZOOM discussion this afternoon, a small group talked about God's part (or not) in the present crisis. This pandemic is the worst crisis that most of the other (younger) members of the group have experienced. I have vague memories of World War II, the polio epidemics of the 1950s, and the assassinations of the 1960s. Maybe I'm too old to worry about dying, but I do think we'll get through this. I think the element that worries most people is the unknown. The data that's been collected is still very sketchy, so we don't know how many people will get sick, how many will die, and how long the pandemic will last.

I'm enjoying life at the moment, and I won't destroy that sense of contentment by worrying about an unknown future.

Comments

Popular Posts